The two Blissfield Royals wrestlers who competed in the state finals this weekend at The Palace of Auburn Hills finished third and fourth in their respective weight classes Saturday after going 1-1 on Friday.
In Saturday’s consolation semi final, Caleb Bangerter captured a third place by virtue of finishing 2-0 on the day in division four’s 215 lb. weight class.
Noah Nieman finished fourth in the 135 lb. class of division four to finish in fourth place. He won his semifinal match was denied a consecutive third after losing in the third-place finals.
A little Blissfield home cookin’ was all Blissfield wrestlers Noah Nieman, Austin Hall and Caleb Bangerter needed Saturday at the Blissfield-hosted Michigan High School Athletic Association Wrestling District 31, division four competition. Both Nieman and Bangerter placed first in their weight class division, while Hall placed in a qualifying third-place spot, ensuring all three Royals another shot to wrestle in the regional rounds.
The top four finishing wrestlers in each weight class move on to the regional rounds of wrestling held this Saturday in Bronson.
For the Madison Trojan varsity wrestlers, they too will send on three Trojans to Bronson this Saturday in second-placed Frankie Najera and fourth-placed finishers Isiah Wyatt-Young and Clarence Burger.
For the complete story and several photos, please see the Feb. 17, 2016, edition of The Advance.
The Advance of Blissfield takes its sports seriously. If you haven’t picked up a Feb. 18, 2015, edition, these are the sports headlines you are missing:
1. Bangerter, Nieman wrestle way to regionals
2. Lady Royals back on track with wins over E-M, Onsted
3. Eagles swoop into BHS for a big 71-41 victory
4. Big quarters lift ‘Cats to win
5. Patriot women endure toughest week of season
6. Patriot men lose two
7. Whiteford women down Whitmore Lake in makeup game
8. Royal cheer team looks to districts Along with these stories which often include a second game from the week are many Advance photos. Don’t forget to check our Photo Galleries button on this page to see the photos that may not have made the paper, as well as those that did.
Only two Blissfield High Schools wrestlers will remain on the mat for the season, as sophomore’s Noah Nieman (135 pounds) and Caleb Bangerter (189 pounds) finished within the top four of their wrestling brackets in the Division 4 individual wrestling districts Feb. 14 at Clinton. Nieman finished third in the 135-pound bracket, with Bangerter claiming second in the 189-pound division.