If Britton Deerfield board members follow through with a vote next month, the voters in the school district will most likely see a one-mill sinking fund levy request on a ballot later this year.
The board’s confidence about the financial outlook for the district was bolstered by a positive audit report of the finances by Ron Eaton of the accounting firm Robinson, Eaton and Owen, Adrian.
The district still has approximately $47,000 in a capital project fund left over from the last sinking fund millage the former Deerfield district had. The money can only be used for projects in the Deerfield building. Building improvement and capital projects in Britton must be taken out of the general fund.
The district has a need for some capital improvements, but there isn’t much room in the budget. The restricted fund balance of $406,000 was reduced to … Read More »
Holiday shopping trends are an important economic indicator. In Blissfield, several local businesses are reporting increased sales and a desire from customers outside of the community for the friendly and personable touch Blissfield businesses offer.
DDA/Main Street director Patricia Rayl said good turnouts for the Yuletide and Wassail festivals have been a welcomed catalyst for businesses in Blissfield.
“I think everybody’s been happy with the holiday shopping season. I think everyone has had busy shops and a good season so far,” she said Friday as the final shopping days approached.
For Chad Hutchinson’s complete story with local merchant interviews, please see the Dec. 25, 2013, edition of The Advance, on newsstands Monday afternoon to aid last-minute holiday shoppers.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a house fire reportedly ignited by a candle last week. Blissfield Township volunteer firefighters responded to a working house fire shortly after 11 p.m. Dec. 17 at the Kerentoff residence in the 100 block South Monroe Street. Blissfield Township fire chief Gary Crist said all residents evacuated the home before fire crews arrived on the scene. Fire crews only had to use 2,000 gallons of water on the fire that started from an upper story. “It was a candle in an upstairs bedroom,” Crist said.
For more details on the fire, please see the Dec. 25, 2013, edition of The Advance.