Cancer benefit at Liv’s Diner Saturday; other events of week listed.
The community has a busy week again starting with a Saturday benefit and a feather party and then the annual Lights of Love ceremony on Sunday.
Liv’s Diner will host a Mexican taco benefit dinner from 5-9 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6 at the Diner’s location. PLEASE NOTE: The day was incorrect in the Dec. 3 Advance story. It is Saturday, Dec. 6, not Thursday as written in the story. The Advance apologizes for the error.
Owner Jamie Armstrong said employee of the diner, Cassy Cook, a 29-year old mother of three children ages 11, eight and five, has been diagnosed with stage-three cancer and is unable to work due to the aggressive regimen of chemotherapy and radiation treatment to combat the illness. Cook’s treatments take four days per week.
According to Armstrong the benefit will not only assist Cook during the period she is not working, but the benefit will also raise funds to help Cook with bills and through the remainder of the holidays.
The taco dinner will be $10 for adults and children five and under are $5. The total dinner includes tacos, refried beans, Mexican rice and drinks. Desserts are available for a donation price.
All proceeds from the dinner will be sent directly to Cook.
Those who would like to donate to the benefit but are unable to attend may send a mailed donation to the Diner’s address, 107 W. Adrian Street, or may deposit money in an account at Blissfield State Bank locations.
Unwrapped Christmas gifts and cards will be accepted as well.
Listed below are some events coming up this weekend as well as the following week:
• Riga Township Fire Dept Feather Party 6 p.m. doors open and first spin at 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6 at the Riga Township Municipal Building.
• Blissfield Community School’s Department of Fine Arts annual Madrigal Dinner. 2 p.m. concert with high tea followed by a full course dinner and concert, 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6 located at the high school.
• RitesReserved free Christmas concert 7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, Light of Christ Catholic Church, 222 Careyt, Deerfield.
• Hospice of Lenawee “Lights of Love” tree lightings, 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7 located in the Blissfield mini-park on South lane Street with a reception to follow at Cakes ‘N’ Shakes.
• Blissfield Elementary School second and third grade musical concerts: 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 9 second grade music concert followed by a 7 p.m. concert of the third grade class. The holiday concert is located in the elementary building’s cafeteria.
More details on these other events were featured in the Nov. 26 Advance.